We do almost everything online these days — from banking to ordering groceries. So we can certainly also feel safe seeking healthcare online, too. It can save us not only money but also time, particularly for those doing shift-work or traveling for work. By seeing a doctor online, you can look after your health from anywhere with an internet connection.
Online doctor visits are great for monitoring your health and taking care of many of the types of issues you would seek out your family doctor for. But never use online services as emergency care - call 911 or visit the nearest emergency room.
Online doctors can treat many different conditions including, but not limited to: acne, allergies, asthma, birth control, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, HIV prep, seizures, migraines/headaches, back pain, gout, sore throat/ strep throat, respiratory tract infections (cold, bronchitis, flu, sinus infections, and pneumonia), pink eye, ear infections, stomach issues, rashes.
Let’s face it - healthcare is often expensive whether you have insurance or not. If you are enrolled in a healthcare plan, be sure to check with the online doctor service to see if they accept your plan. If so, you will be able to pay the same percentage co-pay you would if you visited a doctor in person.
For those without health insurance, online doctor visits are quite likely your best choice as they are usually cheaper than in-person visits. Prices vary greatly, but you could save an average of $100 a visit.
Most online doctor services not only offer individual visits but also subscriptions. You can subscribe as an individual or as a family. There are different plans you can choose from, too. You’ll almost always save by paying for an annual subscription, but monthly subscriptions are also available.
There are multiple benefits to using online doctor services:
- Location-free. Online visits can save those living in rural areas time by not having to drive to the doctor’s office; they can also save time for urban dwellers who have tight schedules or want to avoid sitting in traffic.
- Availability. It can sometimes take a long time to see a doctor, particularly a specialist. Online appointments, though, can at times be available in an hour.
- Privacy. There’s no need to wait in a crowded waiting room at a doctor’s office. Instead, get the treatment you need from the comfort and safety of your own home.
- No waiting. Unlike seeing a doctor in-person, you won’t need to wait to be seen. Simply call at the appointed time and speak directly to the doctor.
- Choice. See everything you want to know about your doctor conveniently in one place — including their specialties and experience. And also be able to choose among many different doctors rather than the few that may be in your local area.
- Flexible refills. Don’t worry if your prescription is expiring soon or you leave your medication at home on a long trip. Simply call up the doctor that prescribed it to get a refuel or new prescription sent to your pharmacy right away.
Some states restrict certain medications from being prescribed online. Make sure to check the regulations in your state and ask the online pharmacy for complete information about this.